You'll have to pardon our brevity in this week's Preview, but it's the only way we could fit in almost 40 kick-ass events happening this weekend in and around Orlando!
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, don't miss the The Singing Christmas Trees, presented by First Baptist Orlando (3000 S John Young Pkwy). Tickets range from $5 to $18.
Central Florida's favorite German bakery is hosting a Christkindlmarket Yalaha 2013 this Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. There will be musik, Sata, gingerbread, and more at this free event.
Winter Wonderland DeLand is your chance to meet Santa in his workshop, join an ugly sweater contest, view holiday light displays, enjoy live entertainment, shop around arts and craft vendors, grub on holiday foods, and more. Tickets are $6.
Thursday, December 12th
Holiday-inspired events this weekend are (drum-roll...):
- Drink and Draw: Holiday Edition at The Geek Easy, $10 gets you a drink, a raffle ticket, and art supplies.
- VerieTEASE - The Holiday Edition at The Venue, $13 advance, $15 at the door (also Friday!).
- Holiday Party/Art Sale at Twelve21 Gallery, come by and save 30% or more from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Thornton Park Wine & Art Walk, $10 wrist band for a lot of free drinks at a lot of cool places (or come and get your shopping done).
Joining other food truck events downtown is the new NiFTE in Mills 50, going on Thursday from 6:00pm to 10:00pm at the corner of Mills Ave and Oregon. While you're there, check out Philippines Relief! Beebs and Her Money Makers, Milka, Vova Zen, Don Bear at Will's Pub tonight at 8:00pm. Tickets are $10.
If you've been curious about what the new healthcare reform can do for you, don't miss the Affordable Care Act Enrollment Fair at Howard Middle, hosted by Representative Linda Stewart. Thursday from 5:30 to 8:30pm.
"Go on a wild ride of self exploration, take a clandestine vacation to the CIA, and redefine your relationship to technology" at Nerd Nite Orlando #10, featuring Ayahuasca, Cold War Coronas, and Google Glass. "It’s like the Discovery Channel – with beer!" Stardust Video & Coffee, 7:00 to 9:00pm, Free!
Friday the 13th!
Friday's holiday (and "holiday") events are:
- McRae Art Studios Holiday Open House, Winter Park, Friday 6:00 to 9:00pm (and Saturday!)
- 12 Bars of Christmas Pub Crawl, $20, downtown Orlando, 8:00pm.
- Very Vintage Christmas, Vol. 2 at Wills Pub.
- Park Avenue Merchants' Holiday Open House from 5:00 to 8:00pm, with music, refreshments, extended store hours, and free entry into the Morse Museum in Winter Park.
If you love the holidays and movies, then don't miss:
- CineMagic: Le Bal showing at Winter Park Library, 7:00pm, $5.
- Annual Tree Lighting/Holiday Art & Music in the Park and Food Truck Bazaar, with an outdoor showing of Rise of the Guardians and more! Casselberry, 6:00 to 9:00pm.
- Movie Under the Stars: Elf in Avalon Park at 7:00pm.
- Nightmare Before Christmas at Oblivion Taproom, 6:00pm.
The Art & History Museums - Maitland (231 Packwood Ave) are hosting Culture Pop!, an exhibition of Central Florida's fine artists and artisans. Live music, art, readings, and drinks ($5 cover for non-members includes one free drink!).
Saturday, December 14th
Put on your Harajuku gear and come down (or up) to Bikkuri Lounge's Electro Dojo dance party, from 9:00pm to 2:00am, with drink specials until midnight. $5 is well worth the experience!
In addition to our online Local Gift Guide 2013, don't miss these great companies this weekend:
- Rifle Paper Co's Holiday Sidewalk Sale - up to 75% off all samples, 10:00am to 3:00pm.
- Acme's Holiday Party & Sale! (and Acme After Hours: Naughty or Nice? Xmas Party, $10)
For those running low on holiday cheer this season (I don't know how you could!), stop by the 9th Annual Winter Park Boat Parade & Festival of Lights and Ski Show, the Washington Shores Christmas Parade, or the City of Sanford Parade of Lights, all going on this Saturday.
If you want to one day tell your kids a story like, "I met your dad, drunk and dress up as Santa on Orange Ave," then don't miss Santarchy this Saturday at 7:00pm. For the Mills50 crowd, there's also Body // Talk: A Kitschy X-mas Dance Party, a monthly DIY dance-party in the space above Anthony's Pizza (1206 E Colonial Dr).
Saturday at 5:00pm is the The Blackout Bout: A Dark and Derby Christmas in Daytona Beach. Need we say more?
Sunday, December 15th
Everyone's favorite, irregularly happening event is back: This Sunday, don't miss The Eleventh Grandma Party Bazaar (10:00am to 7:00pm at Stardust Video & Coffee) with more local crafts, art, live music, and food than you can shake a cane at.
A few doors down, East End Market will feature the Locally Grown Words Book Fair from noon to 4:00pm, in additional to their extraordinary regular merchants.
While you're in the area, stop by Redlight Redlight for the The Writers Block Live Auction to bid on amazing local works of art, writing, and more--all benefiting Urban Think Foundation's 30k30d fundraiser.
Other events with which to wrap up your weekend:
- Orlando Christmas Parade & Festival: Watch as the Jingle Bell Dog jog leads into the parade around Lake Eola.
- Southern Friday Sunday for the Holidays with Thomas Wynn & Friends, Hymn for Her, the Bloody Jug Band, Bad Santa, and the Angry Elves. Live music and a delicious barbecue dinner for only $10!
- Postcards From Tour: A Photography Retrospective of a Road Nanny - Jessica Pawli displays photography taken while on tour with the band Hymn for Her (next door at Lil' Indies, free!
- A Taste of Christmas cabaret performance starring Natalie Cordone and Shawn Kilgore, $10
What are you doing this weekend, Orlando? Leave a comment below!